- 1.5 kilos of ripe plum tomatoes or 1 large can of plum tomatoes, 800 grammes
- 1 large onion
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 espresso cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 glass of rich red wine (optional)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 soup spoon of brown muscovado sugar
- Herbs, basil and oregano, dry or fresh
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut the onion very finely and gently fry in olive oil in a thick based skillet on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- After 5 minutes add the garlic salt and pepper and herbs (if using dry).
- Turn up the heat, add the sugar and wine (optional, burn off or boil off the alcohol).
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook on medium heat.
- After 10 minutes, add the tomato paste and stir in. Now leave to simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes then turn off and leave the sauce to rest.
- If using fresh herbs - chop finely and add a few minutes before serving the sauce.
- Serve over rice or pasta.