- Serves six
- 12 large ripe plum tomatoes or 1 large can of plum tomatoes 800 grammes
- 1 large onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 green chilli
- 2 cm of fresh ginger
- 2 table spoons of
- chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons of mild or medium curry powder
- 4 soupspoons of sunflower oil or ghee
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder or 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- Chop the tomatoes (fresh or canned) and the pepper.
- Heat the oil or ghee in a pan, add the cumin and garlic.
- When the cumin starts to splutter, add the onion, chilli, ginger and coriander leaves.
- Fry till the onion turns light gold in colour. Add the tomatoes, salt, sugar and quarter cup of water.
- Cover and cook till the tomatoes become pulpy and the water evaporates. Add the curry powder and stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves (this is a great side dish for rice).
- Enjoy in the good company of family or friends.